Monday 7 June 2010

Charity Knitting

A couple of days ago I said I was going to tell you about the charity squares I am knitting and encouraging others to knit too. Here's what it's all about.

As you may know, I teach Knitting and Crochet at the Dean Park Community Development Project (DPCDP) in Western Sydney, NSW. The Community Development Officer, Karen Tyler, is a wonderful lady, full of energy, enthusiasm and a seemingly endless supply of caring for our community. Karen has organised several different fundraisers at the centre over the last 10 months or so, since she took on the job there. One of those fundraisers last year was for Breast Cancer Research. This year, it is happening again in October, during Breast Cancer Awareness Week.

So, where does the knitting come in? I suggested to Karen that it might be nice for our knitters and crocheters to make a few squares each (or even just one) so that we can put them all together and make a blanket that we can then raffle off to raise money towards the charity. Karen loved the idea and so it has begun.

I have knitted a few squares (4 or 5 now I think), Jenni has made 2, Margo has made 3, Karen was in the middle of one last week, Eleonor has made a few (but I am not sure how many at this stage) and I believe Auntie Rae has begun to crochet a square (she is the Crochet Queen!). My friend Tracy has also volunteered to knit one or 2 squares and Jenni is kindling interest by taking her knitting to school to do while she is waiting to pick up her boys. One of her school mums has already offered to knit a square. How cool is that?

I don't have any photos yet, as I have left the squares in the care of the DPCDP, but when I am there this week, I will be sure to take a photo of the squares for you to see. I am going to handmake a label for the back of the blanket with a list of all the wonderful people who have contributed to the blanket.

Now, if you live in the Western Sydney area (or even anywhere close {wink}) and would like to knit or crochet up some squares, we would love to hear from you. The squares need to measure 10" x 10" (25cm x 25cm) finished. You can find the instructions to knit the squares on the charity website Wrap with Love and you will find the patterns HERE. They have a couple of different designs to choose from, but you don't necessarily need to use those - you are welcome to do whatever knit or crochet design you like (except a whole square of stocking stitch please, as it tends to roll and is a pain to try and sew up) provided it's finished size is the correct dimensions (or close enough to) as specified above.

If you have any questions or queries, you can pop a comment on my blog, or you can email the DPCDP directly at deanpark@marayonghouse.org.au. We would love to hear from anyone interested.

I will be back later this week with progress photo of the squares we already have.

Take care and ciao for now,

2 comments:

Connie Fossenier said...

came over from BlogsRUs...I love your Banner...I really like the background color and font colors you chose...very easy to look at..
You have a nice variety of crafts..
connie paxman

Jenni's Space said...

my second square should be finished tonight and then i can finish off the other one i am halfway thru, i am madly trying to find out anyone i know who knits and asking them to do some squares for us. i can't wait to see the finished blanket, all i can say is - i better win it!